Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Travel Log 1-12: My First Book Review

 Well the plague has finally retreated from our household, and I'm ready to hop back into blogland contagion free!
     And what fun I get to start back with my very first ever blog review!
The look inside doesn't work but I couldn't get just the regular image, lol.
      I was first interested in this book because I have a young man of my own that I really haven't been able to be open with my faith with ( ex, court system, you know the drill, sigh) and so I've been running around trying to soak up as much material as possible to figure out how to handle this.
    The Way of the Horned God is, frankly, and awesome book for young males of a certain age ( I would say about 12-19 depending on the maturity level of the child) who is either already pagan, or thinking about taking the pagan pathway.
    From the beginning he discusses that paganism is very diverse and in fact not a by rote religion with entrenched and universal dogma, but is in fact a pathway with many branches, as well as a lifestyle that brings interaction with the divine in every aspect of our lives in a myriad of small ways. He takes on some pretty sticky subjects, such as dealing with telling your parents and puberty and sex. Throughout he deals with these subjects in a way that stresses personal responsibility, maturity, and honesty. He shows ways to incorporate ritual and worship, as well as spells, into daily life in unobtrusive ways. From cleaning your room to taking responsibility of chores and finding mentors in life Dancing Rabbit lives up to his name and dances the line between "how to" and "must do".
    This is very much not a follow the dotted line guide to being a perfect cookie cutter pagan, but is instead a guide book for young men on how to build their own pathway and how to find a way into manhood in these muddled modern times. If my young man wasn't slightly too young (he's not going to be 11 until May) this would already be in his hands. For me the willingness for an author to forgo the "my way is right" is invaluable, especially when dealing with young people looking for their identity. Instead this work guides a young man to find his own definition of manhood based on an inner moral code, society, and his own ideals of independance and makes growth into manhood a personal and achievable goal.
    I would recommend this to any parent with boys entering the dreaded teen years. I think it would be good for them and him.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment