Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Travel Log 9-23: Wound-down Wednesday

    I have no idea why, but for some reason Wednesday's are always worse than Mondays for me. They always drag and I have a horrible time motivating myself. I drift off into wool-gathering and it takes ages just to feel like my brain is actually functioning. So I've taken to finding ways to wake my brain up, even if it doesn't want to be. Since curiosity is my greatest virtue and vice I give myself a question to answer. I write down what I think the answer is, then I research it and see if my answer is correct. I figured I would share this weeks wake-up question with all of you and see what interesting answers you come up with!

So here goes-
     Where does the saying "smart as a whip" come from? (I've never found whips to be particularly smart, I mean you don't see many whips hanging out in Mensa clubs...)


here's my guess: I think it has something to do with the fact that coach drivers (or perhaps it was their assistants) in the 1800's in Britain and the US were popularly called "whips" and would have to be particularly cunning in finding routes and customers in the larger cities.


    I'll post later with the research I can find. I can't wait to find out what you all think it means!



Here's a stress relief spell I found at Magic Spells and Potions that helps me to keep from getting overwhelmed: 


Rising lightly on my feet
I now go the day to meet,
Tasks and works flows clear and free
and get sorted, 123!
First things first and last things last,
in the future, now is past,
simply do what must be done,
simply have it now begun,
Let's get started, now let's go,
tis my will, now make it so!

5 comments:

  1. Help...I can't see your post...is the writing all black?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes yes it was because I am absolutely silly..lol. Thanks for the head's up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I like your response on "smart as a whip". It works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your response sounds very reasonable and well thought out.

    I'll be interested to see if you're right! :)

    )O(
    boo

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do enjoy mondays more than wednesdays :)

    <3
    MG

    *whosthatgamine.blogspot.com*

    ReplyDelete