Monday, May 31, 2010

Travel Log 5-31: A Tidbit

     I've been roving around blogland this evening and I have noticed that just about everyone out there has a tidbit on their blog about the holiday. Now what strikes me about this is that in person all people (at least around here, and I am perfectly willing to admit it may just be a Southern California thing) talk about Memorial Day is a time to bbq and drink copious amounts of alcohol. Which kinda offends me in a way. Of course that may just be because the majority of the adults of a male persuasion around when I was growing up served in the Korean War or WW2. I guess you really have to know a veteran to have memorial day and veteran's day stand out as more than a drink fest.
     That thought almost makes me cry sometimes, because we are all growing up to be so apathetic towards things that we have not directly experienced. Our empathy is one of the things that helps to strengthen us. It is the step past courage that makes us stand and fight the battle, whether metaphorical or physical.
     In the vein of that thought, and because I have resolved to write more (and not hide it away), here is my modest contribution to the holiday.

"Who will die today?"
A boy lifts his tricorn hat, waves to his mother and steps to the line.
"Who will die today?"
Two young men, twins- one in grey, one in blue, hug each other and step forward.
"Who will die today?"
A man in a brown uniform kisses his young wife and wipes away her tear, then steps to the line.
"Who will die today?"
A woman in cammoflage hugs her husband, kisses her children and steps forward.
"You are all willing to die today?"
As one they answer- "YES".
"What is so important that it is worth your life?"
The boy answers- "Independance."
The young men answer in unison- "Because my cause is just."
The man answers- "Innocent people are being killed."
The woman answers- "To protect what I love."
"For this you are willing to stand and fight, no matter the hardship, no matter the cost?"
They answer as one, by the thousands, through the years-
"YES"

No comments:

Post a Comment