Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Travel Log 6-15: 50 Monkeys and Me..

   We're off to the zoo today! The Santa Ana Zoo to be exact. Funny little bit of history there. Apparently when Joseph Prentice donated the land for Prentice park he put only 2 restrictions on it- 1) that the park would bear his name, and 2) that there would always be at least 50 monkeys in the park.
   Cause yeah...nothing says public park like 50 monkeys.
   But that is to my advantage today as the Grands, the midgets, and me head over to the zoo that has built up around the monkeys. They have elephants and a working farm, and even a petting zoo for the squishmeister. And truthfully the best part about it is it isn't the LA Zoo. That place is so depressing. All the enclosures are concreted in(and during california summers that's such a humane way to make an animal live not to mention all the smog - hacking penguins is so NOT cute) and every time I've gone there (about 3 times in my entire life) I want to arrange a jail break for all of them. I always leave depressed. So going to a zoo in a nicely wooded park should be a fun trip for everyone.
    I'll try and post pictures after we get home if the kids don't feed me to a wild animal (the Littleman is all about necessary sacrifice, lol) or if I don't pass out. All in all not a bad plan for a Wednesday.
     Oh and I have another post up on my Witchy Thrifting blog so hop on over and check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Monkeys in a public park? Hmm...

    Sounds like a fun day all in all. I do hope you and the small ones had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoos make me sad. There is no way around it. I remember the first time I went to a petting zoo in NYC; I burst into tears. They had a few chickens, a couple of goats, a donkey... (no monkeys) the animals looked sick. I thought about my animals back home, in the Dominican Republic, and felt glad they had land to be animals in...

    ReplyDelete