Sunday, September 6, 2009

Travel Log 9-06: Detour Into The World of Crafts

Well my travels have finally brought me to that terrifying realm- the World of Crafts.
     To a city raised girl who spent more time running wild with the boys than learning useful skills for later in life this is a new and terrifying landscape. With 4 small brownies hopping around and keeping my life interesting you would think that I would have picked some of this up along the way, but I have to say I have avoided traversing this hot-glue burn and paper cut ridden world as the plague that I believed it to be.
     So you would not believe the surprise I had when I found out that I actually enjoy my forays. Even the ones that end in disaster and  injury.
     All this creative effort started the other day when I was drifting around on the internet. The kids had talked me into a  fools bargain. I agreed, in an extreeme moment of weakness, to allow them to have a Halloween party for their friends. You wouldn't think that would be a bad thing. There are whole stores dedicated to providing inept people, such as myself, with everything we could possibly need to make just such an occasion happen. But I had the brilliant idea of trying to teach them responsibility in the process. So I struck a bargain with the little imps. They could have their party if, and only if, they helped to create by hand the decorations, food, and party favors. I can only think that someone had slipped something into the rootbeer I was drinking, because I didn't hear the gods laughing at me like they do at all such unprepared fools. Because, as I'm sure you've already thought of, for them to do all these things I would have to teach them how to do it, and *shudder* actively participate. Once this fact had sunk in the chill fingers of terror began to grip me.
     Since I like to face certain doom head on, that way I have the best view in case it's more amusing than I anticipate, I began an information gathering mission into web space. Truth be told I found some really cool stuff to do that will keep all the little monsters happy and not actively wreaking havoc on my house for at least 3 hours. And on top of it they look like fun. The kids are excited about the projects and so am I, wonder of wonders. Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel was a party train.
     However, while I was hunting down party games and crafts I decided to sneak some pagan and witchy decorations in, since it is Samhain and all. Serendipity of serendipity I found an awesome site on w itchiness in general with some awesome info, advice, and most amazingly a compilation of how to's on how to make a lot of ritual tools. Here's the link:   
Crystal Forestl

It inspired me to start actively putting together a tangible Book of Shadows for myself and became inspired to recover and decorate the binder I picked up for it. Which is how I learned that hot glue burns when you accidentally put your finger in it. I took it all in stride though, and am now the proud owner of possibly the worst recovering job on the west coast. But it's mine and I love it, from the glue stains to the crooked lining. It's just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment