Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Travel Log 9-09: A Study of The Domestic Witch In Her Natural Habitat

Today we honor that dedicated and mysterious creature- the Domestic Witch.
These women, and some men, who work magic into the very fabric of their daily lives as they go about taking care of their homes and families. The keepers of the hearth and herbery ( is that a word? Well if there was one they would be masters of it). Unsung heroes of the mystical world, I swear.
What has brought on this outpouring of fuzziness for the domestic practioner you may ask? Well I tried my hand at some domestic witchery myself this week. And found out it is really hard as hades. To be able to focus and form intent with a 3 year old running around and a 1 year old climbing up your leg. Not to mention the older kids asking homework questions or generally wanting to talk about how they have this great idea to build a hover car that turns into a cell phone, and can we get to building that right now? Please mom?

Yeah..not a snowball's chance on the face of the sun that I was going to be able to do that. So to all those out there that can you have my respect, and pure amazement at your abilities.I will practice until I am good enough to be an acolyte at your hearths.
For those of you that can want here is the spell I tried. I made it up myself. Perhaps next time I'll be less ambitious.

Prosperity Cookie Spell
Be sure that before you start this spell you have your kitchen as clean and organized as you prefer for cooking and get your ingredients and tools out beforehand. I annointed my bowls(the outside), the handles of my spoons, and the mixer with orange/clove oil before I began and this would be a good point to dedicate your working to whichever deities you prefer.
Ingredients:
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 ½ cup butter, softened (make sure the butter is extra soft)
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon allspice
Oven Temp: 375 degrees
Mix The Flour, Baking soda, Baking powder, and spices together in a bowl while saying:
I bring together these spices four
So prosperity will come walking in my door
Cream the butter and sugar together in a separate bowl and add in the egg and vanilla while saying:
Egg, vanilla, golden butter, and sugar sweet as can be
almost as sweet as the success that will come to me
Slowly mix in the flour and spice mixture until combined while chanting:
Good luck and prosperity will come to me
Good luck and prosperity will grow like a tree
Roll the batter into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter and place on ungreased cookie sheets saying:
Earth, air, fire and water combine to bring me my desire
The universe too will combine and take my success only higher
Put the cookies in the oven and set the timer for 8 minutes then anoint the oven with your favorite success oil while saying:
Bring me success, bring me wealth
Bring me joy and bring me health
Rich and tasty, like my life, these cookies will be
As I will so mote it be
When the timer goes off remove the cookies from the oven and let them stand for about 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool.
Be sure to take at least one cookie and a small glass or container of milk and leave it in your garden to thank the wee folk for any help they may have provided and to ensure their good will.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed with your spell!

    I have to admit, mine are way more simplistic, lol! And my kids are all 10 and up! I'd never be able to get a full on spell going such as this!

    I'm lucky to get my Hestia candle lit and say a little prayer before cooking - but I'm pretty good at doing it every time. I guess it's really all about doing as much as you can actually do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda figured I had gotten a little too ambitious. It's the little things like your laundry spell that really add up and are what I should be aiming for. Being able to add touches like that to my daily activities is something I haven't thought to take the time to do. =)

    ReplyDelete