Friday, November 26, 2010

Travel Log 11-26-2: Something to Ponder

The Domestic Pagan made a post the other day about a pagan Thanksgiving that included a history on the day, which was neato, and a paragraph that really got me thinking. People find it distasteful to celebrate Thanksgiving because the first harvest it commemorates was then followed by years of heinous acts upon the Native Peoples of the Americas. That really struck a cord with me and made me think.
     To me that doesn't make sense or really even do what is intended, which is to admonish the disgraceful treatment of Native Americans in our nations history. In my opinion that harvest was not important because the pilgrims survived, but because they had worked together successfully with the Native Americans and they had survived together. It was a moment where the two forces that would be later diametrically opposed to each other had been at peace and in harmony. It was a moment to give thanks for working together. Can we really ignore that important thought just because it didn't work later? Is a protest against a political force that doesn't garner the action requested any less important or vital to the process?
    I don't think so. I think that any time people come together in the name of cooperation and sharing is important and should be marked and remembered no matter what happens later. Those moments are what peace and prosperity are built on, no matter how long it takes for them to fully appear. To me that will always be something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment